This morning I was off on my long run, and as it was not too hot I tried out a new route with more roads and less grass, which ended up a little bit longer than last weeks’ long run. I want to increase the lenght of my long run but I don’t run well in the heat so if it is very hot I am going to run a shorter distance.
In the end I was out for 90 minutes, for about 8.5 miles. On the Nike+ I was pretty consistent (I made a concious effort to start out slower this time), and only slowed down in the middle part where I am running on grass full of mole hills and rabbit holes- for the sake of my ankles I need to slow down!
Once home it was time for a clif bar (peanut) and some chocolate nesquick (yum).
Then after my shower I spent some time in the garden (in fact it ended up being an hour of digging and planting the new plants!) before luinch of squash and carrot soup, and some toast.
I was also having a look at some other blogs and on Lauras blog she had a list of questions for anyone who read it to answer. So- here they are:
- What do you feel is your biggest fitness acheivment?- For me this would be recently running a half marathon (well, 2 in fact). I never even thought I would run a 5K so I was very emotional when I finished.
- What is your favourite type of music to listen to when you run? I love upbeat rock/ indie music, I suppose you would describe it as- Ash, A, Kasabian, Hard Fi- I have a few albums but normally have a “running” album on my mp3 which I add to when I fancy it. I also love a bit of cheese like girls aloud- shhhh don’t tell anyone!
- What is your favourite distance? At the moment I think it is 10k, as it is the distance I feel I can improve on the most. I am not built for sprinting so I think improving my 5K time is hard. I did love the first half I did, so it’s between those two.
- What’s the most impulsive thing you’ve ever done fitness wise? Booking a 10K race after I had run a 5K. I kept it a secret for a while as I was a bit worried that I would not manage to run it!
- What’s your favourite post race/run meal? What I love is a massive bowl of soup (with some beans or lentils- I love sainsburys spicy 3 bean soup), some home -made bread and a big cup of tea. This is especially perfect in the winter.
- What’s your favourite pre-run fuel? Something with oats. Either porridge, or bircher muesli.
- Do you use gels or anything similar to fuel during long runs? The only thing I used when running half marathon was either a gluten free nakd bar after 8ish miles, or some of the nakd flavoured raisins. I find I could eat these while still running, and they gave me a little energy for the end of the run.
- Why did you start running? I walked a race for life with a friend (I had not even heard of them) and after it I felt that I should have been able to run it after seeing all the women of all ages, shapes and sizes running. So I kept it to myself as a secret new years resolution to run it the following year to prove that I could run it.
Good questions Laura!
Now if anyone reads this and also runs, maybe you can answer some of my questions (either here or on your own blog- let me know!).
1- Why did you start running?
2- Where is your favourite place to run?
3- What would your ultimate running goal be?
4- Have you ever sustained any running related injuries?
5-What is your must-have piece of running kit?
6- What other sports/ exercise do you do alongside running?
That’s all folks!
4 thoughts on “Long run and running questions”
I loved reading your answers! I’m going to answer yours tonight 🙂
I look forward to reading them
Great long run – I think consistent pace is more important than speed for those 🙂
Good questions too – I’ll have a think and post some replies.
ps – I found chai tea in tescos! In the “speciality foods” section..
I look forward to your answers. and chai- how exciting! It is such a pain when supermarkets put stuff in random places- like having half the nakd bars in the free from food bit, and the other half with the bags of dried beans. Where is the logic in that???